The Conscious of The Music World

We Revolve Around One Thing!!!!!!!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Everybody knows Monsters can't act!

The past few days everyone has been all atwitter about the Monster video with Kanye, Nicki, Jay, and Rick Ross, and it took me a couple of days, but I finally got the chance to watch it.  Before I comment on the video, I want to express my feelings about the song.  If I had to sum it up in 2 words I’d say “Fuckin Awesome” *Jay-Z voice* The song, in my opinion, is what Hip Hop should be.  I mean three Lyricists just being lyrical. There’s nothing better for a Hip Hop head like myself who loves the artistry involved in putting words together.  The poetry of delving deep into one’s vocabulary and pulling out the best and delivering it ferociously is truly music to my ears.  Now, before all of the haters start throwing stuff at their computer screens, let me clarify.  This isn’t the best song I’ve ever heard, nor is it the best verse I’ve heard from either of these artists. With the exception of Miss Minaj, I haven’t heard her go harder (not that she hasn’t, but I’m not a fan and haven’t listened to her much).  But this is the type of stuff I like to hear when artists come together; MAGIC. 



Now on to the video, first off Officer Ricky shouldn’t be in the video, just like he had no reason being on the song (somebody should lose a week’s pay for that dumb ass decision).  The video was god, but it didn’t live up to the hype, and it definitely didn’t do the song justice.  While it was creative (as most of West’s videos are), it wasn’t the 2011 version of Thriller that it was hyped up to be.  And yes, before you ask, someone did indeed call it that. 

Kanye’s section was good, it went well with his verse, and it was probably the most conceptually appealing piece of the video.  Jay-Z’s part, on the other hand, was just terrible.  For all of the visuals that his words convey, they did nothing in the video to match it.  He basically stood there for 16 bars; POINTLESS.  The lone bright spot in the video, the play on Roman vs. Barbie was good.  It wasn’t done as well as it should’ve been given the unbelievable amount of stardom involved in this project.

I’d like to redo the video and show them how it should have been done, hmmmm maybe that’s a new project for me. Stay tuned…

Se7en Owt

No comments:

Post a Comment